Tuesday:
Sarah and Percy spent much of the day on Youtube watching the latest series of Power Rangers which isn't released on dvd until next week. There was a time when this would have bothered me, not only because of the 'plugged in' aspect but also the whole commercialism side of of things. However, with regards to the television watching, I have noticed that the children seem to have self-regulated their viewing habits. I no longer panic when they spend a whole day in front of the television, or even a few days because they don't do this every day and can go for days or weeks without switching it on.
The issues I have with the whole commercialism and marketing aspect have probably been harder for me to let go of but seeing the children loving playing with their Power Ranger figures and dressing up in their costumes has made me realise that is much more beneficial for them to chose their own toys, and really enjoy them, than have the ones that I think that they should have. I have also really enjoyed watching the way that they play Power Rangers inspired games. Anti-TV people often use the argument that watching television and playing with television character toys hinders children's imaginations. This has not been what I have observed. My children play Power Ranger games in several different ways; they do sometimes re-enact storylines that they've seen on television, but more often than not they make up their own story lines whilst in character. They use the plastic figures along side other small dolls, flower fairies, My Little Ponies and various small teddies to create all sorts of imaginative games, often including getting married and having children. I do wonder how many children dress their Power Rangers up in dolls clothes!
Meanwhile, Bill and I made mini chocolate chip muffins and he did one of his Usbourne Apple Tree Farm sticker books.
Sarah had her ballet lesson and Bill fell asleep in the car on the way home.
Wednesday:
We went to French club first thing. It is held in a lovely arts cafe in town which is about a twenty minute walk with children and often we don't have any breakfast before we go. Today was one of those days that we hadn't had breakfast and I had forgotten my purse. Fortunately, we had a friend that was able to lend us some money. We walked home, had lunch and went out to our HE meeting. It was a really nice meeting. The children played mostly outside (more Power Rangers I think) and made small 'gardens' in tins and tubs. Bill made friends with another little boy the same age as him and we arranged for Sarah and Percy's new friends to come and play on Friday. Percy also played with a little boy who we have known for ages. Percy has always said that B was not his friend because B never speaks to him. I think that the truth is that they are as shy as each other and neither of them have been brave enough to speak to the other before. Anyway, today they played together, discovered they have some mutual interests and both desperately want to play at each other's house! Socialisation: tick! We dropped off the little girl that we take with us and went to get our tea from the McDonalds drive-thru because we were in a rush to get Sarah home and ready for Rainbows and me for work. Why do I feel that I have to explain why we went to McDonalds?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment